Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:29:31 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> On Sat, October 17, 2015 3:22 pm, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > No problem!
> > I have the first generation EeePC, which I would happily give away, but
> > I doubt you plan on visiting Sweden anytime soon? ;)
>
> Your offer is gracious, Sven.
>
> However, I just found an outfit which has a few eeePC in stock, at about
> US$225; the product series is EeeBook X205, with 32Gbyte flash memory.
> Would one of these be suitable?  I can send you the URL.

A very quick web search tells me that people have gotten Ubuntu running
on this with a little hacking, but that you need a 4.0 kernel for wifi
and sound does not work at all. There is also a page for it on the
Debian wiki, that seems to indicate you can get Jessie running:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/X205TA

> > Have you considered liberating a Chromebook?
>
> The same outfit has in stock a large number of Lenovo Chromebook N21, with
> ChomeOS and 16Gbyte solid-state drive, at US$200.  (11.8in x 8.5in versus
> 11.3in x 7.6in for the eeePC)

Well, what I can find tells me that running some sort of Linux in a
chroot should be pretty straightforward, but that is probably not what
you want. To run a full, standard Linux distribution such as Debian, you
would need to open the machine up to remove a jumper or a screw, flash
the firmware, and cross your fingers - this will also remove the
ability to boot ChromeOS. The following link sums it up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrubuntu/comments/3dkk9n/help_anyone_have_experience_with_the_lenovo_n21/

Even if you do all that, I can't find anything that says everything
_will_ work correctly, just that it _should_.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"