Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

On Sat, 2015-10-17 at 14:49 -0500, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> On Sat, October 17, 2015 2:27 pm, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
>
> > Well, there was at least two questions in your post. I provided a
> > suggestion for one of them.
>
> Forgive me, Sven.  When I began this thread, I was thinking strictly
> in
> terms of a smart phone, and did not know of a smartphone forum.
>
> After a few exchanges, it occurred to me that I would be served
> better by
> keeping my flip-open cellular phone for voice, and acquiring a mobile
> G4
> cellular modem and a small computer for Internet access while on the
> road.
>  And after a few more exchanges, I recalled the Asus eeePC.
>
> G4 modems are not expensive.  But, sadly, it appears that the eeePC
> has
> been discontinued.  I have been searching for articles and forums
> discussing Debian on the eeePC, and have found some which are rather
> old.
> It seems that I am "beating a dead horse".
>
> So now my goal is to find an alternative to the Asus eeePC.  I need a
> pc
> which is small enough to be used in the car.  And, of course, it must
> be
> able to run Debian Jessie.

No problem!

I have the first generation EeePC, which I would happily give away, but
I doubt you plan on visiting Sweden anytime soon? ;)

Have you considered liberating a Chromebook? It seems to be similar at
least in weight to the first gen Eee and it should be possible to get
Debian running. Probably a little bit more hassle than a normal laptop
though.

There's also a few x86 tablets, using Intel Bay Trail, that some people
are running Fedora on.

Another option is a hybrid tablet/laptop that folds the keyboard.
They're usually quite portable, but I think support is quite poor.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson