Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

Quoting rlharris@oplink.net (rlharris@oplink.net):
> On Thu, October 15, 2015 3:59 pm, David Wright wrote:
> > Quoting rlharris@oplink.net (rlharris@oplink.net):
> >> And it turns out (according to the ISP out there) that my associate is
> >> receiving via a radio link a single address (192.168.100.3) from the
> >> DHCP server of the ISP.
> > If you really mean this, then what are the devices that "are hidden
> > behind desks and boxes ... in the office"?
> > If, as seems more likely, there's some sort of router back there
>
> I have no idea what is behind the desks and boxes, except that which I
> have been told by the ISP.  According to the ISP, there is one device
> connected to an external antenna.  The device is a radio receiver (not
> Wi-Fi) which has a single ethernet jack and delivers a single IP address.

Ah, I misunderstood your first post as you wrote they. It sounds a bit
like my uncle in Virginia where the local computer shop transmits a
signal to the few people in the village who have the internet. It
might be what they call Wisp.

Sounds to me like your spare router is a good solution. As it's just a
router, not one of those combined modem/routers (which I don't like),
it's easy to disconnect your colleague's computer and attach the
router's WAN in its place. You might want to configure the wireless
anyway so that you can use it yourself when you're there, turning it
off when you leave.

Cheers,
David.