Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:43:08 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> > On
> > http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Ubuntu%20x86%2064
> >
> > you will find several packages. Among these are
> > fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb
> >
> > that you mentioned you lacked earlier. It is a driver without X
> > support, but it seems the X driver depends on it. You probably also
> > want fglrx-amdcccle_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb, which is the
> > graphical setup utility. There is also a development package for
> > OpenGL, which you may or may not want.
> >

> Thank you for that.
>
> It is unfortunate that the AMD web page that linked to the download
> for the package that depended on that package, di not include a link
> to the package, with some information like "the package needs this
> package to be installed, which can be downloaded form..."

The page mentioned above lists all the available packages for Ubuntu,
although it does not say what the package dependencies are. I'm
guessing that would be available in the install instructions.

> > But. These packages are for *Ubuntu*. Ubuntu is not Debian. Yes,
> > they both use .deb packages, but that does not mean that the Ubuntu
> > packages will work well (or at all) on Debian. Personally, I have
> > no idea, as I haven't tried, but I would take a backup first, as
> > they may hose things considerably.
> >

> I am well aware that Ubuntu is not Debian, although, from what I
> understand, it may still be derived from, and, based on Debian.

I am sure you do understand that, it was more meant as a form of
warning. These packages are intended for specific Ubuntu versions, if
you try to install them on a Debian system, you may not have the same
version of the kernel, the X server, and various other components that
are relevant to how the driver works. In other words, they can damage
your system.

"Based on Debian" does not mean that important system packages are
interchangeable. If I'm not mistaken, Ubuntu get their packages from
Jessie/Sid, if you try to install on Wheezy you likely have an older X
server, at the least. I wouldn't attempt it without first doing a
little research.

> As I had said, the Seamonkey package for Ubuntu, installed and runs
> okay on Debian 7, and is the only source that I found, of a .deb
> package for Seamonkey, so as to allow Seamonkey to be installed using
> a Debian package manager, such as (I think it is) gdebi.

That may well be the case, and I expect many packages would work fine
on both Debian and Ubuntu systems, but the driver for your GPU is a
system package that expects certain things in the environment it is
installed into. You *may* have better luck with downloading the .zip
file for Linux and using the installer to build a .deb package for your
environment - it has an option for doing this.

That's why I suggested you look at the Debian wiki, for example, as I
am sure you will find more information on the best and most reliable
way of doing this. You don't want to hose your X setup.

I just did a quick search, but found nothing about installing the 14.12
version of the driver on Wheezy, everything I can find references older
versions. Assuming that the 14.12 driver is compatible with the X
server in Wheezy, which may not be the case, most people seem to go
with the route of creating packages from the installer. YMMV.

The fglrx driver that Wheezy has is older, much older, so your GPU is
probably not supported. If the 14.12 version requires a newer X server,
then this whole exercise is going to get quite involved.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"