Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):

> Liam's point appeared to be that if anyone (me) is stupid enough to be
> still using "squeeze", then they (me) can't expect anything to work in
> it.

That's right. I put it more diplomatically. But you set yourself up
for it by saying you were using squeeze rather than squeeze LTS.
Not knowing which parts of the entire squeeze system are maintained by
the LTS team, I can't say if that's a good defence. I would assume
that you'd be covered if all packages installed on a system were drawn
from squeeze LTS or more recent.

> > But that isn't fglrx-core is it? Don't you need something like
> > fglrx-core_14.201-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
> >

> >From whence do I get that?

I typed   fglrx-core   into google, and looked down the page as far as
the third hit. I clicked on this, then on "amd64". Then I clicked on a
random US mirror and the packed dropped onto my system.

I did it last thing at night because I figured Petter, who knows much
more about this than I do, was probably still slumbering, and you were
probably up and about and raring to go.

> It is not "nice" new hardware. This partivular computer was bought to
> try to determine whether Debian 7 could run an external monitor - it
> has a different graphics hardware configuration. So far, it is not
> "nice", as I can't get Debian 7 to run the external monitor, from it.

Well, I might have said "shiny" but then it would be matt-black!

It's probably better than this little laptop that struggles with
jessie and would give me third-degree burns if I used it without
a thermal barrier. (Last reached 98.5°C in October, usually in the
50s to 70s.)

> I had not previously, been aware that any AMD/ATI graphics packages
> were installed on the system.

My days of hand-picking video drivers etc are gone the way of 2GB
disks shared with windows. Most people probably install
xserver-xorg-video-all and have done with it.

> Synaptic is a Debian package manager, listed in the Debian packages list.

Another one! Where is mudongliang when you need him/her? :)

Anyway, good luck. It sounds like you're getting to the stage where
you're beyond my help. Downloading a driver off the web and wrapping
it in ndiswrapper is about as far as I go. A video driver is too
close-coupled for that option, I would imagine.

Cheers,
David.