Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 15:16:41 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/04/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):
> >> In going to the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit option, as such packages are
> >> usually .deb packages, and so, tend to work on Debian (which is
> >> how I got Seamonkey installed and working on this system, from an
> >> old version of Seamonkey.deb, that I had obtained), I downloaded
> >> and tried to install the package.
> >
> > I'm not sure I can tell what package you mean here.
> >

> fglrx_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb

On
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Ubuntu%20x86%2064

you will find several packages. Among these are
fglrx-core_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb

that you mentioned you lacked earlier. It is a driver without X
support, but it seems the X driver depends on it. You probably also
want fglrx-amdcccle_14.501-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb, which is the
graphical setup utility. There is also a development package for
OpenGL, which you may or may not want.

But. These packages are for *Ubuntu*. Ubuntu is not Debian. Yes, they
both use .deb packages, but that does not mean that the Ubuntu packages
will work well (or at all) on Debian. Personally, I have no idea, as I
haven't tried, but I would take a backup first, as they may hose things
considerably.

Here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux%20x86_64

You will find a .zip file of all the drivers and the setup utility for
all Linux x64 systems - that is an alternative way of installing them.
Maybe that is a better approach on Debian, I really don't know for
sure. I am sure Google has some insight on this, I would also check the
Debian wiki.

First, read this page;
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian

It contains instructions for how to use these drivers on a Debian
system. There is even a section there on multiple screens.

> >> I got a dependency problem;
> >> "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: fglrx-core"
> >>
> >> So, I seached in Synaptic, for fglrx, and found
> >>
> >> fglrx-driver;
> >
> > But that isn't fglrx-core is it? Don't you need something like
> > fglrx-core_14.201-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
> >

> >From whence do I get that?

See above.

> >> So, I searched within Synaptic, for xserver-xorg-video-radeon .
> >>
> >> I found that xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon,
> >> are already installed.
> >
> > I take it that's on your wheezy system.
> >

> If wheezy is Debian 7 ( - this is on one of my Debian 7 installations
> - one has this AMD graphics thing, and the other has the nVidia thing,
> and, after about 16-18 months, I am still trying to get the other
> installation to work)

By "the other", you mean the AMD one? Or do you have problems with the
nVidia thing too?

> > But we were expecting that weren't we? I thought the problem was
> > that you have this nice new hardware.
> >

> It is not "nice" new hardware. This partivular computer was bought to
> try to determine whether Debian 7 could run an external monitor - it
> has a different graphics hardware configuration. So far, it is not
> "nice", as I can't get Debian 7 to run the external monitor, from it.

Many people run Debian on laptops with external monitors, so it should
be possible to get it to work. The problem in your case seems to be
that the GPU is only supported by AMD's driver. If you can install
that you should have better luck.

It is also *possible* that your GPU would be supported by a newer
version of the "radeon" (open-source) driver, I do not know. Maybe one
is available in backports.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"