Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On 04/16/2015 11:40 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
On 16/04/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):

bret@bret-Aspire-E5-521:~$  lspci | grep -i vga
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]

I think you should concentrate on the string in brackets,
which appears on

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/category/VIDEO/?&page=3

Cheers,
David.

Now, you say that, but, Ubuntu 14.04 shows two different sets of
information, as shown in my preceding messages;

"

I note that, having just installed (and presently updating) Ubuntu
14.04LTS, on the Acer E5-521-238Q, the same graphics drive shows as
being used, as for Debian 7 on the Acer V3772G;

from System Settings -> Hardware -> Overview, I have

"
Processor: AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics x4
Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
"

"

and, as you have mentioned above, from

"
"
bret@bret-Aspire-E5-521:~$  lspci | grep -i vga
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]
"
"

and

"
and, from the lshw output,

"
  *-pci:0
           product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]
           physical id: 100
           bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
           version: 00
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
         *-display UNCLAIMED
              product: Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]
              vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
              physical id: 1
              bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
              version: 00
              width: 64 bits
              clock: 33MHz
              capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list
              configuration: latency=0
              resources: memory:e0000000-efffffff
memory:f0000000-f07fffff ioport:3000(size=256)
memory:f0c00000-f0c3ffff memory:f0c80000-f0c9ffff

"
"

So, Ubuntu shows the CPU as being both
"AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics x4"
and
" [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]"

unless, an AMD E2-6110 incorporates an AMD A4-6000 with R2 Graphics

?

But, the link that you sent, links to
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/pci/1002%3A9852/

which has

"
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000
with R2 Graphics] Video
The Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000
with R2 Graphics] is under the Video category and is contained in the
certified systems below.
"

and, lists, as certified systems,

"
HP 15 Notebook PC Laptop
Pre-installed by manufacturer AMD processor Realtek Semiconductor Co.,
Ltd. AMD AMD
HP 18 All-in-One PC Desktop
Pre-installed by manufacturer AMD Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. AMD
"

and

"
HP Compaq 15 Notebook PC Laptop
Pre-installed by manufacturer AMD processor Realtek Semiconductor Co.,
Ltd. AMD AMD
"

and the link that I have cited, for
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/dmi/4365/dmi%3AAMDE2-6110APUwithAMDRadeonR2Graphics/

has

"
AMD processor AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics Processor
The AMD processor AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics is under
the Processor category and is contained in the certified systems
below.

HP 15 Notebook PC Laptop
Pre-installed by manufacturer AMD processor Realtek Semiconductor Co.,
Ltd. AMD AMD
HP 18 All-in-One PC Desktop
Pre-installed by manufacturer AMD Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. AMD
HP Compaq 15 Notebook PC Laptop
Pre-installed by manufacturer AMD processor Realtek Semiconductor Co.,
Ltd. AMD AMD
"

So, what I deduce from this, is that the only difference between what
you have posted, and, what I had previously posted, is that you have
referred to the video component
(" [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]")
of the CPU that I had specified;
("AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics x4")

but, however it is interpreted, my deduction that both Debian 7 and
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, appear to be lacking a(n adequate) driver for the
particular CPU (given that it involves and includes, as an integral
part, the " [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics]"
graphics controller), appears to be reasonable and valid.

I note that none of the web page URL's that you and I have cited,
appear to link to, or, mention, a driver for the particular CPU or its
incorporated graphics controller, for either Debian or Ubuntu, Linux.

Have you tried "catalyst" for the AMD setup?? Under AMD Mobility Product Family your 6000 series is listed.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-9LINReleaseNotes.aspx

Of course you would need the AMD driver and use that instead of the plain jane SVGA you are currently using. I use nvidia, but without the nvidia driver installed, I don't get the goodies love that I want, like multiple monitors (4) using multiple cards (2). When trouble shooting with a shotgun, sometimes a shot in the dark will hit something. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html