Re: Installing Debian on a Mac

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015, Rusi Mody wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 11:50:06 PM UTC+5:30, Patrick Bartek
> wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > It would help me if there was uniformity with all using linux
> > > Since I have no idea about macs, wondering if this works.
> >
> > If you need uniformity -- all students using the same Linux distro
> > -- regardless of their systems' native OSes, running a VM is the
> > best (and safest) option.  And when the class is finished, the VM
> > and distro can be easily removed, and it will be as if it were
> > never there.
> >
> > I suggest VirtualBox. Plus installing Guest Additions is an
> > absolute necessity. There are versions for Linux, Windows & Mac
> > hosts. Download all files from the VirtualBox web site to get the
> > current version.  Also, this will avoid the "crippled" versions
> > that are sometimes in Linux repos.
> >
> > Reading completely and following explicitly the instructions goes
> > without saying, but I had to say it, anyway 'cause most people
> > don't.
>
> Thanks for the input.
> Yeah I (personally) need to get onto the VM bandwagon.
> [I downloaded (from apt) virtualbox a while ago but have not got
> round to trying it...
>
> So you are suggesting I get it from virtualbox website and not from
> apt? Ok Noted.

Yes.  Got to VirtualBox's web site and read all the FAQs and
documentation, particularly about the Guest Additions.  It will explain
why.

> However in the case of students I am not so sure...
> We are at the interesting transition point* where
> - de jure the college provides machines
> - de facto students all have their own
>
> If I go the legalistic (de jure) way, I should just use the college
> facilities If I encourage (at least allow) for the increased benefits
> of students doing their work on their own machines, I need to allow
> for the possibility that some laptops will be so old/underpowered
> that VMs will bring them to their knees [if at all they will run]

Only you can answer those questions.  But as far as personal laptops
are concerned:  If it's got at least a 1GHz processor, single core, and
2GB RAM, you should be able to run VirtualBox with a "light" Linux
install like Debian with the LXDE desktop; but certainly NOT MATE,
GNOME3 or KDE.

> Still I wonder whether VM is the best option for the 'rich' guys/gals
> eg those having a recent apple-mac.

Installing & dual booting Linux on a Mac is not for the faint of
heart.  A VM is the least problematical option.

> I am particularly nervous with Macs because the last time I asked a
> colleague to install git from macports he showed me that macports
> gave him sources but no executable.  I was under the notion that
> macports is like apt... evidently not :-)

Macs are a beast all their own.  If you don't know what you're doing,
it'll bite you when you least expect it.  And leave a nasty scar,
too. ;-)