Re: Installing Debian on a Mac

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015, Rusi Mody wrote:

> On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 9:30:06 PM UTC+5:30, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 04:24:37PM +0200, Jonathan Copeland wrote:
> > > Hi Debian Community
> > >
> > > I am a student and need to have Debian installed on my Mac for my
> > > degree, What is the best and most secure way of doing this?
> >
> > You have several options.
> >
> > 1. You can run Debian in a virtual machine.
> >
> > 2. You can repartition your disk(s) and install Debian in a
> > dual-boot.
> >
> > 3. You can wipe Mac OS and install Debian by itself.
> >
> > In any of those scenarios, you can encrypt the Debian partitions
> > and make them secure enough to hold patient data.
> >
> > What hardware do you have, and what other requirements do you
> > have?
>
> So does something like
> http://www.howtogeek.com/187410/how-to-install-and-dual-boot-linux-on-a-mac/
> work? And its safe??
>
> I am not the OP but have the same question.
> I am running a class -- some students have windows, some have some
> linux distro. And very few have macs.
>
> It would help me if there was uniformity with all using linux
> Since I have no idea about macs, wondering if this works.

If you need uniformity -- all students using the same Linux distro --
regardless of their systems' native OSes, running a VM is the best
(and safest) option.  And when the class is finished, the VM and distro
can be easily removed, and it will be as if it were never there.

I suggest VirtualBox. Plus installing Guest Additions is an
absolute necessity. There are versions for Linux, Windows & Mac hosts.
Download all files from the VirtualBox web site to get the current
version.  Also, this will avoid the "crippled" versions that are
sometimes in Linux repos.

Reading completely and following explicitly the instructions goes
without saying, but I had to say it, anyway 'cause most people don't.