Re: Installing Debian on a Mac

Am 28.01.2015 um 03:30 schrieb Rusi Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>:

> Thanks for the input.
> Yeah I (personally) need to get onto the VM bandwagon.
> [I downloaded (from apt) virtualbox a while ago but have not got round to trying it...
>
> So you are suggesting I get it from virtualbox website and not from apt? Ok

On Mac OSX you cannot use apt. But you can install from a downloaded dmg.

Here on my desktop iMac I have 2 different Debians, 3 different Wins, and an Android installation under VirtualBox.

> Still I wonder whether VM is the best option for the 'rich' guys/gals
> eg those having a recent apple-mac.

If they are also strong, they can buy a cheap laptop (USD/EUR 200), install Linux directly on it, and carry two laptops with them;-)

> I am particularly nervous with Macs because the last time I asked a colleague
> to install git from macports he showed me that macports gave him sources but
> no executable.  I was under the notion that macports is like apt... evidently not :-)

AFAIK git is preinstalled on Mac, or maybe comes with Xcode:

$ git --version
git version 1.8.5.2 (Apple Git-48)

But you should better use homebrew http://brew.sh/, which uses better lib-paths for the installations.

The problem of OSX is, that it just copies the files onto the disk during upgrade, often damaging individual or third party changes. OSX is simple crap under the hoods.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer