Re: XBMC/Kodi? Anybody actually using this on Debian?

Hi Peter, Roland,

On 01/27/2015 09:55 AM, Peter Viskup wrote:
regarding the XBMC version - try to use Deb-multimedia repository [1]. There are more recent versions available.
True. These are not part of Debian itself though which is why I usually forget to check package versions over there.
They are mantained by Christian Marillat who is a Debian developer as well. I have those in my sources.list as well to be able to play DVD videos etc.
Ad 1) more things which needs to be checked
 - kernel support
 - Xorg open source radeon or closed sourced fglrx ati drivers support
 Try to read these [2] [3] [4]
Which is quite a task for somebody new to Linux. Especially since I was unable to find out which kernel version has support for the A4-6300.
Same for the radeon driver. Easiest would be to just try it and check the output in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Ad 2) first make sure your direct rendering is working (running the command "glxinfo")
It should report something like this:
torsten@defiant:~$ glxinfo|head -n 20
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
The most important part is that "direct rendering: Yes" line.

Greetings, Torsten