Re: Can't get sound to work

Charlie wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:56:31 -1000 Joel Roth sent:
>
> > For now, you do have have a working audio system sitting
> > atop your Intel soundcard(s).
>
> Yes thank you.
>
> I have purged pulseaudio again. Never having used it found Alsa was
> always fine till recently when alsa didn't do it for me when using VLC.
> But then pulseaudio didn't either.
>
> However alsaplayer in the GUI only plays half the song and chokes.
>
> Aplay plays the songs fine in full, no glitch when invoked on the
> command line.
>
> VLC doesn't produce any sound. But then I can live without it.
> Especially since I have discovered how to add several songs to aplay on
> the commandline, takes a bit more typing the way I do it, but then
> that's also fine.

try vlc with the
    --alsa-audio-device default
    --alsa-audio-device hw:0,0

It looks like can specify the channel count
(although using '6' to get stereo seems weird.)
>From vlc --longhelp:

      --alsa-audio-channels {1 (Mono), 6 (Stereo), 102
(Surround 4.0), 4198 (Surround 4.1), 103 (Surround 5.0),
4199 (Surround 5.1), 4967 (Surround 7.1)}

cheers,

> It's never so bad if you know how to do something, it's just a pain
> when you don't and you need to scrounge through all manner of websites
> to discover how it might work, often wasted because you've looked in
> the wrong place and it doesn't.

Man pages and mailing lists are helpful. There is no way to
configure your system without some knowledge, or willingness
to get experience.

> I recall reading a Linux user/developer once writing that he was almost
> sick of Linux because whenever you tried to do something you had to
> learn how to do it. That in Windows it just worked.

I did a Windows 7 system restore for a friend's notebook
that took forever. Many times more difficult than what
I can do with unix tools like rsync.

> It was interesting, and I know that when I want to do something and
> have to troll the net to find a way to do it because it needed a tweak,
> it could be frustrating. But I always blamed myself because I made the
> choice to use Debian "testing" instead of stable where I assume
> everything just works?

No, you will always have issues configuring your system to
suit your hardware, networking environment and personal
needs. You cannot escape some overhead in administering
a system.

cheers,

joel