Re: Can't get sound to work

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:11:24 -1000
Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:

> Robert Latest wrote:
> > With aplay -D hw:0,0 it still works.
>
> You're 99% to the destination.
>
> IIRC, directly addressing the sound device
> as hw:0,0 takes the whole device, will not
> allow software mixing of audio streams from
> other applications.

OK guys,

thanks a lot for all the helpful hints. What I ended up doing is this:

- purge all pulse audio stuff
- created an .asoundrc like this:

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,2"
  }
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}

I don't understand the first thing about this. I just copied this file
from somewhere. Note the "hw:0,2" part. Remember that I had to use -D
hw:0,0 with aplay to make sound work while pulseaudio was installed? Now
hw:0,2 is the way to go. Search me why.

Thanks
robert