Re: Can't get sound to work

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 01:27:31PM +1100, Charlie wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:11:24 -1000 Joel Roth sent:
>
> > Robert Latest wrote:
> > > With aplay -D hw:0,0 it still works.
> >
> > You're 99% to the destination.
> >
> > IIRC, directly addressing the sound device
> > as hw:0,0 takes the whole device, will not
> > allow software mixing of audio streams from
> > other applications.
> >
> > It may be worth trying the
> >
> > aplay -D default testfile.wav &
> > aplay -D default testfile.wav
> >
> > And you should hear two streams playing together.
> >
> > At least, it works on my system without asoundrc.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Joel
>
> Thanks Joel,
>
> Using: aplay -D default testfile.wav &
>
> Without pulse audio installed, I get sound.

Yay.

> Using: aplay -D default testfile.wav &
>
> With pulseaudio, there is no sound but pavucontrol shows that there is
> some sound being relayed to the earphones?

> So sound is still a wraith in Debian. [laughing]

The ALSA project has a Linux kernel driver for your
soundcard.  Many programs, libraries, applications, plugins,
frameworks and APIs target ALSA.[1]  If you're involved in
music or audio production and need to combine audio
applications, there is JACK.

So, have a coffee and doughnut, or beer and pizza!

Now maybe you want pulse audio. Why? Because maybe some app
(Skype?) or Desktop Environment demands it.

Okay, that's a lot of bloat. But you're choosing to pull
that bloat into your software stack. Or maybe it is just
your DE packager's choice.

In any case, you can probably debug it given enough
attention. Any list responsive to pulse audio issues should
be a help.

For many audio issues, you can go to the Linux Audio Users
mailing list, but even the geniuses and gurus who frequent
that list are mostly ignorant of the dark ways of PA.

A few have found and published ways to use both JACK and
PA.[2]

For now, you do have have a working audio system sitting
atop your Intel soundcard(s).

cheers,

Joel

1. http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/start