Re: Can't get sound to work

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:56:31 -1000 Joel Roth sent:

> For now, you do have have a working audio system sitting
> atop your Intel soundcard(s).

Yes thank you.

I have purged pulseaudio again. Never having used it found Alsa was
always fine till recently when alsa didn't do it for me when using VLC.
But then pulseaudio didn't either.

However alsaplayer in the GUI only plays half the song and chokes.

Aplay plays the songs fine in full, no glitch when invoked on the
command line.

VLC doesn't produce any sound. But then I can live without it.
Especially since I have discovered how to add several songs to aplay on
the commandline, takes a bit more typing the way I do it, but then
that's also fine.

It's never so bad if you know how to do something, it's just a pain
when you don't and you need to scrounge through all manner of websites
to discover how it might work, often wasted because you've looked in
the wrong place and it doesn't.

I recall reading a Linux user/developer once writing that he was almost
sick of Linux because whenever you tried to do something you had to
learn how to do it. That in Windows it just worked.

It was interesting, and I know that when I want to do something and
have to troll the net to find a way to do it because it needed a tweak,
it could be frustrating. But I always blamed myself because I made the
choice to use Debian "testing" instead of stable where I assume
everything just works?

Anyway thank you,
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	If I seem to boast more than is becoming, my excuse is that I
	brag for humanity rather than for myself. ....Henry David
	Thoreau