Re: Can't get sound to work

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:43:23 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/15/2015 03:54 PM, Hans wrote:
> > First questions:
> >
> > Are you running pulseaudio or alsa?
> >
> > Did you try alsamixer?
> >
> > Often it is possible, to choose different hardware in the GUI. Did
> > you try other ones, too?
> >
> > Best
>
> He's got an asoundrc file in /etc. I thought that use was deprecated
> some years ago. Maybe if the OP mv;d that file to another name,
> rebooted and ran alsamixer first, then add pavucontrol along with
> pulse, he might have a better experience, IMHO.

Hi Ric,

it's getting weirder: I installed pavucontrol, started it, and started
mplayer in some other window. No sound on my headphones, but the
little VU bar flashing. Unplugged headphones, sound came from the built
in speaker. Plugged headphones back in, pavucontrol sees it and changes
from "unplugged" tp "plugged in", still no sound on headphones.

With aplay -D hw:0,0 it still works.

OK, now trying to remove all pulse-related stuff.

Thanks
robert