Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 12/11/2014 05:57 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 10 dec 14, 15:32:55, Jape Person wrote:

But that information plus the linked items (in the info output) grub-reboot
and grub-editenv may get me started toward a solution.

I just thought of a different approach, using the fact that one can
manipulate the "Maximum mount count" without having to umount the
filesystem: write a script that always sets the "Maximum mount count" to
'0' or '-1' late during the boot (e.g. via rc.local or @reboot in the
crontab).

With this one can easily trigger a manual check on the next reboot with
a simple:

     tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sdXY

and the script will reset "Maximum mount count" immediately after, so
you don't get a check on every reboot ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei

Hello, Andrei!

I just wanted to confirm that adding a single line to rc.local to set Maximum mount count to 0 and then using tune2fs to set the count to 1 and rebooting had exactly the effect desired.

I know it was obvious -- once you suggested it -- that this would work, but thought I should confirm the method's efficacy for anyone else who might be interested.

I also wanted to thank you again. I ran fsck manually by this method on a remote (very) system without involving the end user at all. Just what the doctor ordered!

Best regards,
JP