Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 12/10/2014 at 06:04 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 10 dec 14, 08:53:08, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>
>> All this just because you won't admit that systemd took away a
>> feature, and that it is systemd's business to bring it back.
>
> Mmm, I'll have to chime in here. The fact is, systemd never
> implemented this feature, while your statement sounds like this did
> work at some time but those evil systemd developers disabled it on
> purpose, which I'm sure is not you intention :)

It *did* work at one time: in sysvinit, which Debian has used until
recently.

We have been reminded repeatedly that many people (probably a majority)
do not know or care about what init system they are running.

For such a user, this is not a systemd-centric question; it is a
Debian-centric one, and the responsibility of having caused it and for
fixing it is on Debian. Debian chose to switch to systemd, and that
switch introduced this bug; it is therefore Debian's "fault" that this
regression occurred, and Debian's responsibility to see to it that the
regression is fixed.

> Also, the systemd developers have no obligation whatsoever to
> implement any particular feature, regardless if that particular
> feature was implemented by sysvinit or not.

They do if they are going to advertise systemd as a replacement for
sysvinit - which I believe they do, given that they have actively (and
successfully) sought to convince multiple distributions to replace
sysvinit with it. If it does not provide a feature which sysvinit
provides, then it is not a full replacement.

Given that systemd could have implemented this a long time ago (or even
from the beginning), and has chosen not to, but still is presenting
itself as a replacement for sysvinit, it doesn't seem entirely
unreasonable to say that systemd has taken away a feature which was
provided by sysvinit.

> Of course, there's also the option of completely disabling automatic
> fsck (there are several ways to do this), as I understand is the
> default for new enough filesystems. This would make more sense for
> me on systems with bad power (you'd still get the "bad shutdown"
> check).

_Every_ system has "bad power", unless you somehow have a computer which
either does not need electricity to run or runs in an environment where
power will never be lost under any circumstances where you still care
about the computer.

Battery backups, or UPSes (which are mostly just another form of the
same), or generators, et cetera, are just ways of staving off power loss
further; they do not and cannot eliminate it entirely, and they can
always fail unexpectedly.

--
   The Wanderer