Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Mon 08 Dec 2014 at 17:14:58 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 08 December 2014 16:25:51 Brian wrote:
> > On Mon 08 Dec 2014 at 09:40:03 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> > >
> > > Several people in this thread (including, I think, you?) are responding
> > > to those complaints by saying "It's your own fault, for not doing X",
> > > rather than by saying "Yes, it's systemd's fault, for not doing /
> > > letting you do Y".
> >
> > Sorry again; I see nothing which translates as "It's your own fault...".
>
> "Remedial action is not needed because the right choice was made from the
> grub menu. If it wasn't, you get to live with the consequences and don't
> do it again."  (You)

Would you please read

  [🔎] 20141205205925.GB20928@copernicus.demon.co.uk">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20141205205925.GB20928@copernicus.demon.co.uk

again?

   One could even set up two GRUB entries for the choices. An extra
   keystroke or two and one get exactly what one wants. Isn't choice and
   control a wonderful thing?

This is a proposed solution to having an fsck run only when chosen.

Renaud OLGIATI responded

   What about the choice to stop fsck it if it has started at an inconvenient moment ?

Then I responded as you quote above. It is obvious I am referring back
to the solution, where two choices are available. Making a mistake and
not choosing the right option is a human thing to do (cf: the rm
command) but I went on to point out a fact of life - if booting is
broken, you get to keep the pieces.

> And that is just the first.  You have been very condemnatory from the
> beginning until recently.

There are others? It would be only fair to give references so I have the
opportunity to correct any further misimpressions.

But now it seems that one has to issue a Health Warning - "Yes, it's
systemd's fault, for not doing / letting you do Y" - before tackling a
problem associated with it. Dream on. There is enough information in
this thread for a user to do something about the lack of a previously
existing feature other than complain.