Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 11/23/2014 5:29 PM, seeker5528 wrote:

> On 11/23/2014 1:15 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> We're not talking non-technical people here. We are talking companies
>> with ITcd departments managing multiple servers and desktops. We are
>> talking small companies who contract their IT services. We are talking
>> individual users running their own servers and desktops. But even for
>> them, waiting 2-3 months is NOT going to fix their problems. Neither
>> is waiting 2-3 years, because the problem is incompatibility with
>> previous Debian releases.
>
> Seems unlikely that the Debian devs will change from systemd as the
> default init.
> But the options for sticking with sysv init have been discussed plenty.
>
> In spite of the fact that the option for sticking with sysv init in a
> new install happens in a way some people object to, the option does
> exist, so that gives time for the Debian devs to sort out among
> themselves how sysv init will be handled in the future.
>
> It will also provide time to see how many people with the required
> knowledge care enough to supply patches to Debian devs in cases where
> things are broken when sysv init is being used to bring up the system.
>
> It will also provide the time to see how things develop with
> alternatives in cases where upstream requires parts of systemd for
> certain features to work.
>
> I'm not in this for the debate, so I don't have anything to say beyond
> this.
>
> Later, Seeker

This isn't only about patches to Debian packages.  This is also about
custom code many people have installed and set up to work with sysv
init.  These will fail with systemd, and since they aren't Debian
packages, people will be on their own to try to make them work with systemd.

Jerry