Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 11/23/2014 9:17 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
What I see missing in these discussions is the vast number of people who don't monitor the lists. That is the huge majority of Debian users. Some will get a rude surprise when they upgrade and things don't work as expected.

That's how it works with every major OS release, and some minor ones too. Often with other software too. Once in a while I still run into someone who buys a new computer and is surprised there is no place to plug in their parallel printer.

This is what release notes are for, highlighting changes and known issues.
In some cases not working as expected is a bug, in others it's by design.

The situation with Windows XP is evidence enough that many people are willing to spend excessive amounts of money keeping systems alive that are well past their DNR date to stick with something they know.

Many will be able to fix those problems - but at a cost of time and manpower. Others will have neither the time nor the money to fix the problems, and still others will not have the technical expertise to do so. Jerry

For non technical people it is always good to recommend waiting a bit before upgrading to something new, I would normally say 2-3 months to let additional issues get uncovered, work a rounds to be found, fixes to be released ,etc...

With the amount of time between new Debian releases there is some time to sort things out in point releases and make some decisions on how things are to be for the next major release.

Later, Seeker