Re: Joey Hess is out?

Am 2014-11-17 15:54, schrieb The Wanderer:
On 11/17/2014 at 08:21 AM, Martin Read wrote:

On 17/11/14 12:25, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:

There were other poor design choices, it seems that Debian
maintainers have fixed some of them (i.e. renaming network
devices), other seems to be still there (binary logs...).

A default Debian jessie configuration has persistent text logs in
/var/log written by rsyslog, and *volatile* binary logs in
/run/log/journal written by systemd-journald. Removing the binary
logs completely disables functionality of the systemd suite which an
administrator familiar with systemd would expect to be present by
default.

This is news to me, and mildly disturbing.

I recall having previously seen it stated, repeatedly, that Debian by
default does not store binary logs at all even when running under
systemd - that they exist only in memory, and that the actual log data
is stored only in text-log-file format via forwarding to rsyslog.

Note: /run is a tmpfs, i.e. it's stored in memory.

Administrators of systemd-based systems who wish to turn off the
binary log can, of course, simply add the line

	Storage=none

to the [Journal] section of /etc/systemd/journald.conf, at which
point systemd-journald will simply forward all log entries directly
to rsyslog without writing them to a binary file.

This appears to be exactly what I recall seeing stated - repeatedly,
including by trustworthy Debian developers - as how Debian already
behaves in its default systemd configuration. If that is not the case, then there is even less reason for people who object to binary logs to be comfortable with the new situation, even mitigated by being able to
turn this behavior on with the option you describe.

Note that 'systemctl status' won't include the last log lines of a given
service if journal has Storage=none set. That is an very, very useful
feature to have, which is why I guess the maintainers of systemd have it
activated by default.

What does not happen is that any binary logfile is stored on your hard
drive (well, maybe in swap space, but not in your filesystem), and on
next boot they will be completely reset again.

The only real difference between the default (use /run as storage) and
Storage=none is that you save a bit of RAM. Btw. you can configure how
much the journal will take, see journald.conf(5).

Christian