Re: Joey Hess is out?

On 11/17/2014 at 08:21 AM, Martin Read wrote:

> On 17/11/14 12:25, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
>
>> There were other poor design choices, it seems that Debian
>> maintainers have fixed some of them (i.e. renaming network
>> devices), other seems to be still there (binary logs...).
>
> A default Debian jessie configuration has persistent text logs in
> /var/log written by rsyslog, and *volatile* binary logs in
> /run/log/journal written by systemd-journald. Removing the binary
> logs completely disables functionality of the systemd suite which an
> administrator familiar with systemd would expect to be present by
> default.

This is news to me, and mildly disturbing.

I recall having previously seen it stated, repeatedly, that Debian by
default does not store binary logs at all even when running under
systemd - that they exist only in memory, and that the actual log data
is stored only in text-log-file format via forwarding to rsyslog.

(Even this is still mildly concerning to some people, on the grounds
that it still places journald and its binary formats in a place between
"source of data being logged" and "text-format log file" where
previously there was nothing, but it's still probably a reasonable
compromise for most purposes.)

> Administrators of systemd-based systems who wish to turn off the
> binary log can, of course, simply add the line
>
> 	Storage=none
>
> to the [Journal] section of /etc/systemd/journald.conf, at which
> point systemd-journald will simply forward all log entries directly
> to rsyslog without writing them to a binary file.

This appears to be exactly what I recall seeing stated - repeatedly,
including by trustworthy Debian developers - as how Debian already
behaves in its default systemd configuration. If that is not the case,
then there is even less reason for people who object to binary logs to
be comfortable with the new situation, even mitigated by being able to
turn this behavior on with the option you describe.

--
   The Wanderer