Re: Joey Hess is out?

On 11/17/2014 03:54 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 at 08:21 AM, Martin Read wrote:
>> A default Debian jessie configuration has persistent text logs in
>> /var/log written by rsyslog, and *volatile* binary logs in
>> /run/log/journal written by systemd-journald. Removing the binary
>> logs completely disables functionality of the systemd suite which an
>> administrator familiar with systemd would expect to be present by
>> default.
>
> This is news to me, and mildly disturbing.
>
> I recall having previously seen it stated, repeatedly, that Debian by
> default does not store binary logs at all even when running under
> systemd - that they exist only in memory, and that the actual log data
> is stored only in text-log-file format via forwarding to rsyslog.

That's exactly what the word volatile means: /run is a in-memory
filesystem, thus all files there only exist in memory.

For the default configuration in Debian this means that all log messages
are stored persistently in /var/log by rsyslog, and some recent log
messages are *also* kept in a volatile in-memory file by journald.

Ansgar