Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On 20141111_1807+0100, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> Le Tue, 11 Nov 2014 07:42:33 -0500,
> Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> a écrit :

> > > Please be specific. What problems of of dependencies are you
> > > talking about?
> >
> > Please stop bring up irrelevant questions and address the question
> > being asked.
> >
> > This does require you to at least understand and acknowledge the
> > difference between a *clean* install, and installing something one
> > way, then having to uninstall a primary piece and replace it with
> > something else.
> >
> > The two are not the same, and no amount of you trying to act as if
> > they are will change the fact that they are not.
>
> There are no functional differences between an installation with
> sysvinit-core out of the box or an install where sysvinit-core is
> installed later, this is a fact.

Theory tells us this should be true, but it would be nice if there
were experimental evidence. For instance, a demonstration that the
files on two hardware-identical computers, with software installed
in the two different ways, are bit-for-bit identical. But this
can't be done, as I understand the situation, because *clean*
install of sysvinit-core is impossible until the dbootstrap bug is
fixed.

I predict that the initial 'fix' of that bug will fail to
achieve your predicted result. Naturally, I hope I'm wrong, but I
would like proof.

Another topic:
My reading of the man page for apt-get seems to say that there
is no way to purge the configuration file of packages that were pulled
in to satisfy a dependency and subsequently autoremoved. I hope this
is an artifact of poor use of English. But if true, it should be fixed.

Yet another topic:
It should be possible to install systemd on a system that already
has some other init system installed on it. This should be tested,
but how?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net