Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On 11/15/2014 at 06:37 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I suggest that the word 'default' not be used any more in this
> discussion. It serves only to obfuscate the nature of the problem.

The word "default" is used in the discussion because the initial
decision made by the Debian project in regard to this topic was that
"the default init system for jessie shall be systemd".

You can't avoid the word "default" unless you avoid discussing that
decision, and that decision is one of the things which people do want to
discuss. It's also one of the things which is relied upon in justifying
some (possibly all) of the changes being made to Debian in relation to
systemd.

Some people think the decision supports making those changes; other
people think it does not. That difference of opinion is, I suspect,
rooted in a disagreement about what the word "default" means.

If so, there will be no possibility of resolving the conflict between
the people who think the one way and the people who think the other
without first resolving that disagreement about the meaning of that
word... and resolving that disagreement would require using the word, if
only to discuss the word itself in that context.

--
   The Wanderer