Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Am 10.11.2014 um 17:26 schrieb Patrick Bartek:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Michael Biebl wrote:

>> You can use pre-seeding and run
>>
>> preseed/late_command="in-target apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"
>>
>> in the debian-installer. While that does indeed first install
>> systemd-sysv, it's directly replaced again during system installation
>> and doesn't require you to boot with systemd as PID 1.
>> So it might be pretty close to what you're looking for.
>

> Thanks.  But wouldn't it be nice if as an option, you could just pick
> which init you wanted in the installer.  It would make things so much
> easier.  Too late to implement this, I suppose.  Maybe, in the next
> release?

Most users simply don't care and don't want to be bothered with this.
It's not like we prompt the user whether he wants to use grub or isolinux.
If we added an explicit switch, this would have to be in
expert-install-mode only imo. I can't speak for the d-i people, but
since we entered freeze, I guess it's likely to late to add that for jessie.
Especially, as already mentioned, you do already have a mechanism via
preseed/late_command.

Regards,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?