Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On 11/15/2014 at 07:21 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:

> On 20141111_1807+0100, Laurent Bigonville wrote:

>> There are no functional differences between an installation with
>> sysvinit-core out of the box or an install where sysvinit-core is
>> installed later, this is a fact.
>
> Theory tells us this should be true, but it would be nice if there
> were experimental evidence. For instance, a demonstration that the
> files on two hardware-identical computers, with software installed in
> the two different ways, are bit-for-bit identical.

While I agree that this is the sort of test that would be needed to
satisfy the people who are insisting that you can't be sure there isn't
a difference, and while I'd like to see that verified myself, it does go
well beyond testing for *functional* differences - at least as I
understand that term.

> Yet another topic: It should be possible to install systemd on a
> system that already has some other init system installed on it. This
> should be tested, but how?

If I understand what you mean by "install systemd", then it's trivial:

apt-get install systemd

That does not switch the active init system to be systemd. Doing *that*
would require:

apt-get install systemd-sysv

and even that, in its turn, does not (automatically?) remove
sysvinit-core from the system; you can still boot to it (from a
backup-installed location) with a kernel command line option, as a
fallback if systemd does break something too badly to even boot.

Or that's the claim, anyway. I've been examining files from
sysvinit-core on my own computer in an attempt to remind myself of some
of the details of how that works, and at a glance I don't see the backup
copy of /sbin/init anywhere...

--
   The Wanderer