Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Le Wed, 12 Nov 2014 06:10:55 -0500,
Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> a écrit :

> On 11/11/2014 3:33 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
> wrote:
> > Actually, there's a patch (thank you Kenshi).  It has not been
> > applied. Hence, to use it right now, one has to build a custom
> > version of the installer.  I hope, that post the initial Jessie
> > release, the deboostrap and installer maintainers will apply the
> > patch.
>
> Since the bug is so old (dates back to wheezy), and a patch exists and
> still hasn't been applied, I think it is likely that they simply don't
> *want* to fix this bug, since that would negatively impact the desire
> to get as many people using systemd as possible, so they can be
> counted in the stats of 'satisfied systemd users', even if many/most
> don't even *know* they're running a different init system.

Any evidences of this? Because you know this also has an impact for
other packages that have OR statement in their dependencies.

Also are you aware that back to 2012, the changes needed to install
systemd-sysv package on the machine were way bigger than today due to
the fact that sysvinit was the only package that you could install on
your machine that was providing "/bin/init" because this package was
marked "Essential: yes". In the meantime, the Essential flag moved from
sysvinit to the "init" meta-package to allow more init system to be
installable. So like Michael said, Jessie will indeed be the first
version that allows you to have an alternate init without modifying the
kernel cmdline.

Now the bug is "just" debootstrap ignoring OR in the dependencies. And
as Kibi said on the bug, the patch arrived late in the d-i schedule
(patch proposed the 17/10, more than 10 days after the release of the
2nd beta of the installer).