Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On Tue 11 Nov 2014 at 12:36:14 -0500, Marty wrote:

> On 11/11/2014 12:07 PM, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> >
> >There are no functional differences between an installation with
> >sysvinit-core out of the box or an install where sysvinit-core is
> >installed later, this is a fact.
> >
> >Allowing the user to choose this at install time from the interface is
> >a "nice to have" feature (wishlist bug) not a RC bug like you were
> >claiming earlier.
>
> There is a potential practical consequence of not advertising an
> init alternative during setup. It makes users less likely to be
> aware of it, or even aware that the init system has changed.

New users do not need to be be aware of all the background to the
choosing of a default init. No advertisement is needed. By definition,
they do not care. They want Debian. Please let them have it.

> They won't know they lost the choice they didn't know they had. Capisce?

What choice have they lost? Whatever it was, it didn't exist as you imply
in Wheezy.

> They won't know, that is, until it bites them somewhere down the
> line. Then they won't know where to look or who to blame, and will
> blame Debian.

What bites them?

> Installation time may be only means that most users (like me*) ever
> would learn about it.
>
> * Install instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instructions

Reading? You are right. Who wants it? Just spew out nonsense and hope
nobody notices.