Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis wrote:
On 11-11-2014 21:16, Brian wrote:
On Tue 11 Nov 2014 at 12:36:14 -0500, Marty wrote:

On 11/11/2014 12:07 PM, Laurent Bigonville wrote:

>There are no functional differences between an installation with
>sysvinit-core out of the box or an install where sysvinit-core is
>installed later, this is a fact.
>
>Allowing the user to choose this at install time from the interface is
>a "nice to have" feature (wishlist bug) not a RC bug like you were
>claiming earlier.

There is a potential practical consequence of not advertising an
init alternative during setup. It makes users less likely to be
aware of it, or even aware that the init system has changed.

New users do not need to be be aware of all the background to the
choosing of a default init. No advertisement is needed. By definition,
they do not care. They want Debian. Please let them have it.

If it's not a problem can I ask the following ?

AFAIU and IMHO, for the users that is more desktop oriented, already
exists in d-i the ability to choose their "favorite" DE, (if they care of course),
dispite the fact there is a default (GNOME). And if I'm not mistaken the
selection UI has changed in Jessie because was "hidden" in some 3rd level menu, no clearly visible.

Is it a project decision to go more Desktop ?

Sorry I don't know much reg. how to fix the --exclude bug, but is it too much work for someone to do it,
at least for the expert install  ?

Actually, there's a patch (thank you Kenshi). It has not been applied. Hence, to use it right now, one has to build a custom version of the installer. I hope, that post the initial Jessie release, the deboostrap and installer maintainers will apply the patch.