Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

Brian wrote:
On Wed 22 Oct 2014 at 21:41:02 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 22 oct 14, 17:50:52, Miles Fidelman wrote:
How can I prevent a specific package from ever being installed?
That doesn't work at install time - when the init package is installed by
Thanks for the feedback, I just did a slight rewording to fix this

     s/from ever being installed/from being installed on upgrades/

base-installer and debootstrap.  You need to preseed with exclude/include
statements, that currently don't work because of a bug.
As far as I understand that can be worked around with a 'late_command'
(or was it 'late-command'?), at least until the bug is fixed, but I'm
not familiar enough with pre-seeding to write anything about this.

yes, you can execute commands later in the pre-seeding process; but
only after systemd has been installed by debootstrap -- so, IF
installing, then uninstalling systemd, and avoiding dependency hell,
all work properly - you can end up with something other than systemd
running as init; but "prevent <systemd> from ever being installed" -
does not currently appear possible for a new installation; save by
cobbling together a custom version of the installer
So the situation with a default init system is no different from what
it is with Wheezy.

Correct.  Except in the reverse direction.

Of course, one might hope that this bug would have been dealt with during that long period of testing that our new init system has been going through.

Miles Fidelman