Re: understanding kernel compilation and

Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> writes:

> So my KVM host is not a production server so i thought it is a best time to
> play with the kernal patching because i am working on linux for years but never
> perform such task i always rely on default/stable debian repository but this is
> a first time i am doing some thing out of the box for fixing and learning
> purpose both

I think it's great that you're starting to learn how to work with the
kernel.  You had a question earlier about x86 vs. amd64 support and the
answer is that the kernel supports both architectures depending on how
it's configured.  There's a lot of information out there to help folks
get started building kernels and a great one to start with is Linux
Kernel Newbies [1].  If you have questions or get stuck on the actual
build process you may want to try using their mailing list or IRC
channel.

[1]: http://kernelnewbies.org/

The Gentoo handbook [2] is also a great resource.  It's written with
running Gentoo in mind but the build process that it goes over is
somewhat applicable to generic kernels as well.

[2]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7

--
Devrin Talen <dct23@cornell.edu>