Re: understanding kernel compilation and

On 23/10/2014 14:22, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
Actually the problem is i am trying to install KVM guest windows 7 64 bit.
during the installation everything went well. but when guest start for the
first time my KVM guest shows "booting from harddirve......." and struck.
my "/var/log/libvirt/qemu/(myguestfile) show  this............

KVM: entry failed, hardware error 0x80000021

If you're running a guest on an Intel machine without unrestricted mode

support, the failure can be most likely due to the guest entering an
invalid

state for Intel VT. For example, the guest maybe running in big real mode

which is not supported on less recent Intel processors.:

my kernel is 3.2.x which comes with Wheezy as default kernel.i found this
error in many places that this is a kernel bug and shall be fix if i patch
or update the kernel.

So my KVM host is not a production server so i thought it is a best time to
play with the kernal patching because i am working on linux for years but
never perform such task i always rely on default/stable debian repository
but this is a first time i am doing some thing out of the box for fixing
and learning purpose both

so that's the whole story. if you have any other suggestion please share.

Thanks,

I don't know about this specific error, but if you want to try a newer kernel for Wheezy may I suggest starting with the Debian backport [1] kernel ? It's a lot easier and less error prone, plus you won't have to recompile the kernel every time a new kernel comes out to get the fixes.

[1] http://backports.debian.org/

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/