Re: Good news on claws-mail

Le 18.10.2014 22:44, John Hasler a écrit :
Steve Litt writes:
The process, the questions it asked, and the automatic collection of
my computer's configuration made submitting the bug trivial. *Every*
project should have one of these.

Unfortunately as soon as you mention email their ears close up.

The point is that, Debian is a big project, with lot of people working on it, not always programmers (I suppose). At least, I guess it have to be like this. But, if, for example, I take i3, there are far less people working on it, essentially programmers. They do not necessarily have time to do the triaging of bugs, and so they ask the users to post on a bug tracker. I understand that it's painful for a user to register here and there, but I also understand that programmers do not necessarily have time to triage mailed bug reports into a correct DB, with lot of emails just saying "hey, it does not work!". The web interfaces (like redmine) usually force the users to fill some informations about the problem. I'm a programmer, so I can assure you that that kind of... hum... bug reports, happen frequently, forcing programmers to buy a tarot and to learn to use it. So, I can see how the Debian's idea of reportbug is great, especially if bugs are reported upstream by maintainers with the infos needed by programmers to focus on actually fixing the bug. That's an important job, but it's not really something people will usually notice.