Re: Stuck in update

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:21:58PM -0400, Alan Greenberger wrote:
> This morning I tried to update a wheezy recently upgraded from squeeze.
> It didn't work and I am stuck.
>
> # aptitude update
> # aptitude

You update aptitude twice?

>  These packages could be upgraded, but they have been kept in their
>  current state to avoid breaking dependencies.

Which packages?

>  b (just beeps)

'b' searches for packages which are broken, but you've just been told
that packages were held specifically to stop that happening.

> There were some error messages about lilo

What were the error messages?

> # dpkg -l lilo
>  iF  lilo           1:23.2-4     amd64
> # aptitude
>  /lilo
>  C     lilo                                         1:23.2-4       1:23.2-4
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure lilo
>  /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: lilo is broken or not fully installed

OK. But why is lilo broken?

> # aptitude install debsums
>    debsums libfile-fnmatch-perl{a}
> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
>   lilo
>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>  lilo
>
> # debsums lilo
>  debsums: package lilo is not installed

debsums didn't install because lilo failed to configure.

> # aptitude reinstall lilo
> The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
>   lilo
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 50
>  not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
> E: Internal Error, No file name for lilo:amd64

OK. Finally, we get to an actual error message. Apt is trying to find a
package for lilo:amd64, but can't for some reason.

Please let us know the output of:

 $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list}
 $ apt-cache policy lilo
 $ dpkg --audit