Re: Good news on claws-mail

On 18/10/14 13:49, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 18/10/14 23:28, Peter Nieman wrote:
On 17/10/14 20:25, Brian wrote:
Why
it needs to be compiled without dbus is also unknown.

You're asking the wrong question. The question you should ask yourself
is: if claws-mail works perfectly well without dbus, then why does
Debian ship a version that depends on it?

Do you have an answer to your question?

Wild guess - notifications?

I don't know claws, but I know from Wheezy that many packages depend on dbus although dbus isn't necessary for doing the job. Please look here for examples:
How is dbus necessary for opening a pdf file, for instance? And mail clients were able to notify users even before dbus was invented. Trying to get rid of such dependencies is a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Now my question - why did you remove Brian's question from it's context? TIA

Because I thought it wasn't that relevant for the part I replied to? If you have an issue with that, I apologize. Besides, I also have an issue with many people's quoting habits. Like when they force me to spend my time scrolling.
And I don't understand "TIA", unless it's Spanish.

NOTE: He was responding to the, um, claim that removing dbus in some
unknown way removed a (possible??) systemd *dependency*.

Well, I thought there was a strong relationship between systemd and dbus. Or are you telling me there is none - neither personnel-wise nor technology-wise? Wasn't it mentioned on this list some time ago that Wheezy machines running dbus would be upgraded to systemd whereas machines not running dbus might have a chance of not being? By the way, I can't find the word "dependency" that you highlighted in Steve's post.

I'm all for removing the unnecessary - especially if it's code.
Generally if it's considered a failing the usual course is to file a bug
report but I can't seem to find one. All guidance is appreciated.

As far as I am concerned, I don't have the time right now to learn the officially accepted procedures of filing bug reports in Debian, I don't have the time for filing reports for all the bugs I find, and I also assume that you'd have to register somehow before being allowed to bring your reports to the maintainers' attention (as they don't read users' opinions here), which is something I generally try to avoid. And, given the direction in which Debian has moved in the past few years, I suspect that many of the bugs I'd report would be considered "features". If this is an unacceptable attitude by your standards, I apologize once again.