Re: question about systemd

> It seems to be simple, but have you tried it?

Yes, and it succeeded for me

>> aptitude install sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils
>
> LANG=C dpkg -l sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                              Version               Architecture          Description
> +++-=================================-=====================-=====================-=======================================================================
> ii  sysv-rc                           2.88dsf-53.4          all                   System-V-like runlevel change mechanism
> ii  sysvinit                          2.88dsf-53.4          amd64                 System-V-like init utilities - transitional package
> ii  sysvinit-core                     2.88dsf-53.4          amd64                 System-V-like init utilities
> ii  sysvinit-utils                    2.88dsf-53.4          amd64                 System-V-like utilities
>
>> aptitude purge systemd
>
> (aptpu is my alias for aptitude purge)
>
> LANG=C aptpu systemd
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   systemd{p}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 49 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 5166 kB will be freed.
>  libpam-systemd : Depends: systemd (= 204-14) but it is not going to be installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

I do not have libpam-systemd installed on my system.

>      Keep the following packages at their current version:
> 1)     systemd [204-14 (now)]
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
>
> *** No more solutions available ***
>
> LANG=C aptpu systemd libpam-systemd
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libpam-systemd{p} systemd{p}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 48 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 5289 kB will be freed.
>  udisks2 : Depends: libpam-systemd but it is not going to be installed.
>  policykit-1 : Depends: libpam-systemd but it is not going to be installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

I do not have udisks2 or policykit-1 installed on my system

>      Keep the following packages at their current version:
> 1)     libpam-systemd [204-14 (now)]
> 2)     systemd [204-14 (now)]
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
>
> *** No more solutions available ***
>
> LANG=C aptpu systemd libpam-systemd policykit-1 udisks2
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libpam-systemd{p} policykit-1{p} systemd{p} udisks2{p}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 46 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 7151 kB will be freed.
>  gvfs-daemons : Depends: udisks2 but it is not going to be installed.
>  policykit-1-gnome : Depends: policykit-1 but it is not going to be installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

I do not have gvfs-daemons nor policykit-1-gnome installed on my system

>      Remove the following packages:
> 1)     policykit-1-gnome
>
>      Keep the following packages at their current version:
> 2)     libpam-systemd [204-14 (now)]
> 3)     systemd [204-14 (now)]
> 4)     udisks2 [2.1.3-3 (now)]
>
>      Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
> 5)     udisks recommends policykit-1
> 6)     upower recommends policykit-1
> 7)     arduino recommends policykit-1
> 8)     udisks2 recommends policykit-1
> 9)     gvfs-daemons recommends policykit-1-gnome
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q

> i didn't investigate another solutions, arduino and gvfs-daemons i need

These are just recommends

> aptitude purge libsystemd-login0 libsystemd-daemon0

- a bunch of stuff clipped -

> Hmm, great. I have some PHP5 & CGI scripts with the nginx, the will go
> away. And CUPS go away too. With the erlang will go away the wings3d
> too. Etc, etc, etc...

I have cups installed, so there is no need for that to go away just because you purge systemd.

I *do* still have libsystemd0 installed.

> Then yes, you can have system without systemd of course, but it will be
> only terrible to use for daily work! Please, don't suggest what you
> mind, but what you know only and don't consider solution which works
> for you, that it will works for all.

On the contrary, my system is just fine for daily work.   No where did I suggest that there would not be side effects for other users, the point of my original post is that removing systemd is possible.   So many people have been acting as they are being forced to use systemd, I just demonstrated an example where this is not the case.

I guess I have different needs from my system than you have for yours, that does not really surprise me, since in general one size does not typically fit all...

James