question about systemd

Hi,

I don't have a strong opinion about systemd one way or the other, but even after all of the debate and discussion that has been going on, it was still not clear to me if systemd is something that is required to be run, or if it's just a default init system that can be changed.

So I went ahead and installed sysvinit and purged systemd so see if something bad (tm) would happen, but as far as I can tell my system is running fine.  The only two things that changed are (1) network-manager has been removed, so I'm using wicd instead for network management, and (2) suspend from xfce no longer works so I installed acpi-support to enable suspend.  But everything else seems to be working just fine.  System is Debian Jessie amd64, and I'm using Xfce4.

So I guess my question is what's all the hubbub?

James Ensor