Re: question about systemd

This is really ticking me off.  We are becoming just like Microsoft that one size fits all.  Linux has always been about choice and modularity and reconfigurability where a user or admin can choose that what suits him/her and the type of system they want.  You want sysvinit you use Debian or Slackware, want Upstart go to Ubuntu, want systemd go to Fedora/Redhat.  Where in all this is my choice to have my system boot via the means I or any user or admin considers to be the appropriate method to boot their system?  What's wrong with you people?  Have you lost sight of why Linus designed this system?  Its about simplicity, modularity and reconfigurability.  This approach with systemd flies in the face of all this.  Its like demanding that you can use only ext4 as your file system.

On Friday, October 10, 2014 12:12 AM, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

Reco wrote:

> You haven't took into account journald, which uses /run (mounted
> in-memory) to write its' own blobs. With the limit of 1/2 of available
> physical memory by default.

That's wrong by nearly 2 orders of magnitude..

journald avoids using more than 10% of the size of /run by default,
and the size of /run is 20% of physical memory.

So, on a system with 4 gb of memory, it uses not 2 GiB, but 77 MiB.

Sep 29 13:35:43 darkstar systemd-journal[169]: Runtime journal is using 8.0M (max allowed 76.9M, trying to leave 115.4M free of 761.3M available → current limit 76.9M).

A system with 128 MiB of memory would have 1.3 MiB used for the journal.
That's less memory than the (non-shared) memory used by bash to log into
such a low memory system. But if it did become a problem, there's a
simple config file to tune it, which has an excellent man page.

      SystemMaxUse=, SystemKeepFree=, SystemMaxFileSize=, RuntimeMaxUse=,
      RuntimeKeepFree=, RuntimeMaxFileSize=
          Enforce size limits on the journal files stored. The options
          prefixed with "System" apply to the journal files when stored on a
          persistent file system, more specifically /var/log/journal. The
          options prefixed with "Runtime" apply to the journal files when
          stored on a volatile in-memory file system, more specifically
          /run/log/journal. The former is used only when /var is mounted,
          writable, and the directory /var/log/journal exists. Otherwise,
          only the latter applies. Note that this means that during early
          boot and if the administrator disabled persistent logging, only the
          latter options apply, while the former apply if persistent logging
          is enabled and the system is fully booted up.  journalctl and
          systemd-journald ignore all files with names not ending with
          ".journal" or ".journal~", so only such files, located in the
          appropriate directories, are taken into account when calculating
          current disk usage.

          SystemMaxUse= and RuntimeMaxUse= control how much disk space the
          journal may use up at maximum.  SystemKeepFree= and
          RuntimeKeepFree= control how much disk space systemd-journald shall
          leave free for other uses.  systemd-journald will respect both
          limits and use the smaller of the two values.

          The first pair defaults to 10% and the second to 15% of the size of
          the respective file system.

--
see shy jo