Re: root account inaccessible, was 'login problems on change of default shell'

On Oct 5, 2014, at 8:10 PM, William Unruh wrote:

> Log on as oot. the system does not care what the name is. All it cares
> about is the uid (0) You could call uid 0 donduck and your system would
> not care, as long as you used that name to log on.
> Of course this does not mean you should leave it like that. It maybe
> that some script uses the name root, instead of uid 0.

I tried this, and got:

sudo: unknown user: root
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

Sudo seems completely unusable by my regular user account, even though it has all privileges in the sudoers file.

On Oct 5, 2014, at 8:06 PM, John Hasler wrote:

> Ok, then you have to boot the CD and mount the disk.  Then just edit the
> file with a text editor.

I have tried to do this, using instructions adapted from here: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/root.htm (solution 2) and here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/mounting-hard-drive-on-ubuntu-live-cd-563007/ . I booted up the broken system and attempted to get the device name looking at /etc/fstab, mount and fdisk -l. I got a device name (/dev/sda1) and a UUID. I booted in from the usb again, and when I try to mount /dev/sda1, it says that the device is already mounted, because the live usb has named the root filesystem on the usb /dev/sda1. I looked at several web pages supposedly describing how to mount by UUID, but they all describe how to find the UUID and don't give specific instructions on how to formulate the mount command. I looked at the man page for mount, and my best guess was to type:

sudo mount -U uuidnumber mountpoint

This returns:

mount: no such partition found

I don't know what I am doing wrong.