Re: apt update problems

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 15:21:40 +0100 Brian sent:

> On Sat 04 Oct 2014 at 08:05:26 -0500, John Aten wrote:
>
> > On Oct 4, 2014, at 5:25 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > > Here's everything again, with some comments to explain what each
> > > line does:

> > > # This is the security archive for the wheezy release. Every
> > > wheezy # system should have it and update/upgrade regularly from
> > > it. deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
> > > non-free
> > >
> > > # This is the 'updates' archive, for packages that most probably
> > > will # be included in the next point release and some special
> > > packages that # need more frequent updates to be useful
> > > deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib
> > > non-free
> > >
> > > # This is the regular archive containing the packages of the
> > > latest # Debian stable release (including all point releases).
> > > deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

> > I had a similar problem recently. Daxko on this list recommended
> > installing netselect and netselect-apt, which will select the
> > fastest mirror and generate a sources.list file for you. I don't
> > think the syntax of mine was off, I believe I was attempting to use
> > an outdated mirror. Anyhow, netselect-apt fixed the problem, and
> > then some.
>
> Ok, http://http.debian.net won't write out a sources.list file for you
> but one of its functions is to choose a fast mirror. Amongst the
> reasons for choosing it instead of specifying a particular
> geographical mirror are
>
> 1. It is easy to remember.
>
> 2. It doesn't take long to type in a sources.list.
>
> 3. It works the same way anywhere on Earth so there is no need to
> alter sources.list if you travel a lot.
>
> 4. It does parallel downloads and will probably max out your
> connection.
>
> 5. Outdated mirrors are avoided.
>
> The developer's introduction to the service is at
>
>    http://rgeissert.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/introducing-httpdebiannet-debians.html

Just tried it to see how it worked, but it doesn't work for me.

W: Failed to fetch
http://http.debian.net/jessie/dists/main/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages
404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch
http://http.debian.net/jessie/dists/main/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages
404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your
	government when it deserves it. --Mark Twain