Re: apt update problems

On Vi, 03 oct 14, 22:17:42, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> On 10/03/2014 03:07 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> >It's important you attach them since your mailer seems to be a little
> >bit too helpful in formating your mails and it's important to for us to
> >see the same files as apt sees them.
>
> I tried this earlier and apparently it didn't go through.  Here are the
> attached files.  I have an empty sources.list.d directory but there is
> nothing in it.  TY

Assuming your mailer didn't interfere (again) your sources.list is messed up.
Comments inline:

> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.6.0 _Wheezy_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20140712-13:02]/ wheezy contrib main
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.6.0 _Wheezy_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20140712-13:02]/ wheezy contrib main
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.6.0 _Wheezy_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2 20140712-13:02]/ wheezy contrib main
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.6.0 _Wheezy_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-3 20140712-13:02]/ wheezy contrib main
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.6.0 Update DVD 20140712: i386 DVD 1]/ wheezy contrib main non-free

The cdrom entries are commented out, probably not a bad idea if you have good
internet connectivity.

> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates non-free deb-src contrib main
> deb-src ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ wheezy/updates http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates non-free deb-src contrib main

These two lines are messed up and you probably don't need deb-src line (do you
compile Debian packages?), so replace them with:

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

(all in one line)

> # wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> # A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following entries
> # are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
> # for your mirror of choice.
> #
> # deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy contrib non-free main
> deb ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ wheezy-updates contrib deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ wheezy-updates contrib deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
> # deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

Instead of trying to fix the above I suggest you just remove everything and add
these two lines:

deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

(.net is not a typo)

The file sources.list.save you should completely ignore, it's probably
some backup created by a program you used to change your sources.

Here's everything again, with some comments to explain what each line
does:

# This is the security archive for the wheezy release. Every wheezy
# system should have it and update/upgrade regularly from it.
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

# This is the 'updates' archive, for packages that most probably will
# be included in the next point release and some special packages that
# need more frequent updates to be useful
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

# This is the regular archive containing the packages of the latest
# Debian stable release (including all point releases).
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free