Re: apt update problems

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 23:13:51 +0100 Brian sent:

> On Sun 05 Oct 2014 at 08:46:12 +1100, Charlie wrote:
>
> > Just tried it to see how it worked, but it doesn't work for me.
>
> That's because you have done something incorrectly.
>
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://http.debian.net/jessie/dists/main/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages
> > 404  Not Found
>
> There you are. Confirmation you have done something incorrectly.
>
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://http.debian.net/jessie/dists/main/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages
> > 404  Not Found
>
> "Not found" again. You should now begin to wonder what it is you are
> doing wrong. You could also question whether a Debian archive would be
> structured to have "/main/non-free" and "main/contrib" components. The
> "main" part of the archive contains only free software.
>
> > E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or
> > old ones used instead.
>
> This is the correct response when you have done something incorrectly.
>
> Knowing what was in your sources.list would save having to guess what
> you have done incorrectly.

This is how it was, a single line in my /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.debian.net/jessie main non-free contrib

I think I read that that was the way it should be written, but as you
say, obviously incorrect.

Thank you.
Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	People imagine enlightenment will make them incredibly
	powerful. And it does. It makes you the most powerful being in
	all the universe—but usually no one else notices. -----BRAD
	WARNER