Re: apt update problems

On Sun 05 Oct 2014 at 08:46:12 +1100, Charlie wrote:

> Just tried it to see how it worked, but it doesn't work for me.

That's because you have done something incorrectly.

> W: Failed to fetch
> http://http.debian.net/jessie/dists/main/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages
> 404  Not Found

There you are. Confirmation you have done something incorrectly.

> W: Failed to fetch
> http://http.debian.net/jessie/dists/main/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages
> 404  Not Found

"Not found" again. You should now begin to wonder what it is you are
doing wrong. You could also question whether a Debian archive would be
structured to have "/main/non-free" and "main/contrib" components. The
"main" part of the archive contains only free software.

> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.

This is the correct response when you have done something incorrectly.

Knowing what was in your sources.list would save having to guess what
you have done incorrectly.