Re: Jessie netinstall CD on very limited internet connection.......

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 13:30:32 +0900 Joel Rees sent:

<snip>

> Charlie, care to enlighten us?

Thanks for your time with this.

Joel I think you're right. I just didn't understand the way that the
netinstall CD's work. The disk or rather the installer was too old.

As I said, I had downloaded the "Jessie .iso" some time previous, I
can't recall how long ago, but months would be the case, and the
computer I was going to install with it came into my hands with a change
of heart. Ubuntu was preferred after the owner had done some reading on
the net which I always recommend. As I am all for empowering people,
not needing to be relied on to do it all for them, as if I know what
I'm doing. I tell people to read up about what they want me to do for
them. I do it for free, so I don't want to be run around.

So when this computer was to be loaded up, I thought I would use the
netinstall.iso disks I downloaded then, because I had them on hand.

Normally, I do as I ended up doing this time.

	* Use a stable netinstall.iso.
	* Load a minimal system, no packages other than to make it boot
	  and then fill in the gaps. For myself, as I go along.

For anyone else that wants a system like mine, everything that I
	  think they will use and to make it look like mine. [which is
	  pretty ordinary without any eye candy] [laughing] But some
	  people like it like that as well.

In this case I fell back to the old method, used the wheezy netinstall
CD and on the first boot, get into the /etc/apt/sources.list, delete
the CD entries and change everything wheezy to Jessie and get rid of
things like wheezy update links and such.

Then update, then upgrade, then dist-upgrade and then start, for anyone
else, populating the system with packages.

I teach them how to update and upgrade which they continue to do
as testing and then when it's stable. They continue to use it till I
read it's no longer supported and then I may have to jump in. I also
have to jump in if something goes pear shaped in testing, in this case
Jessie.

The reason people stay with the one system through testing into stable
is because that's what they do with windows. They just keep going till
someone says, "you have to change that because it's a security risk".

Oh yes, I recall there was another reason I tried to install with the
Jessie this time. I thought that because Jessie was the testing system,
I might not have to do a dist-upgrade all the time either? But I'm
probably incorrect in that as well.

I have a very slow satellite internet connection at home here as well,
so most of the heavy download I do at our local community centre where
I volunteer helping people with computers. Yes, you may laugh. But to
the very young and the uneducated, because I can fix things, think
I know something about computers. [laughing]

But that connection is cable, ADSL2 200 metres from the exchange and
works like quicksilver on a smooth metal plate.

Apologies for the length of this.

So I only asked because I thought that everything in the netinstall.iso
was self contained till it hit the part where a mirror was sought, and
then it would update and upgrade itself from that source? Obviously
incorrect I see now. So sorry for the question.

Oh yes, I didn't report a bug, because I don't know enough about Linux
or Debian to know what I'm taking about. I don't know the terminology
and I really don't know how anything works. I'm a lateral not linear
thinker, so most of the time assume I'm doing the wrong thing, and
usually am.

After the years of using a linux system [because I couldn't afford a
computer other than what people threw away, much less windows] mandrake,
mandriver, redhat when it was free, fedora, slackware and finally
Debian which I couldn't install the first 3 times in potato or woody?

I joined the Debian list late, but learned much from various LUGS.

Now you know everything. [laughing]

Thanks again for your time. Please know it is appreciated.
Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	A man is either free or he is not. There cannot be any
	apprenticeship for freedom. --Amiri Baraka