Re: Jessie netinstall CD on very limited internet connection.......

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 15:08:54 +0900 Joel Rees sent:

> On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Charlie <ariestao@ipstarmail.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just curious:
> >
> > I used a Jessie netinstall CD, downloaded some time ago, on a
> > computer belonging to a friend, who has a very limited internet
> > connection. It gave me an error message after reading the CD and I
> > think at the step of installing the base system or just before that.
> >
> > It was something about not finding any kernel modules probably due
> > to this version of the installer having the wrong kernel. That's
> > what it posted on the screen something akin to that anyway.
> >
> > I tried to go on, but there were just too many things not right, so
> > aborted.
> >
> > It didn't matter, as I used an early wheezy net installer for a
> > minimal system, changed the sources list accordingly. It booted,
> > read the updates for Jessie correctly and now I just have to get it
> > to a better internet connection and upgrade it, bring in the
> > required packages and we're done.
> >
> > But it was just a weird thing? Why would a net install CD come with
> > the wrong kernel? Maybe I downloaded it at a time when it was
> > incomplete.
>
> Jessie being what it is until it becomes the new stable, I would be
> less than surprised if I got such errors.
>
> It might also be due to errors in the download. Slow connections can
> sometimes be less reliable -- old equipment, etc., and checksums are
> statistical objects.

Thanks Joel,

As I thought.
Downloaded on a very fast cable connection and burnt the CD on media
which has never had any problems on a modern laptop etc., etc..

Probably, but not certain that I did the checksum confirmation.

I thought it was just a glitch because I can't recall anyone ever
having a problem just like that, but I may not have read that thread.

Thanks for your time to reply.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold and I
	deem them mad because they think my days have a price. --Kahlil
	Gibran