Re: Jessie netinstall CD on very limited internet connection.......

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM, Chris Bannister
<cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 09:51:54PM +1100, Charlie wrote:
>>
>> As I thought.
>> Downloaded on a very fast cable connection and burnt the CD on media
>> which has never had any problems on a modern laptop etc., etc..
>>
>> Probably, but not certain that I did the checksum confirmation.

Sorry, I mis-read that. Thought you had downloaded the netinstall
image on the slow connection.

>> I thought it was just a glitch because I can't recall anyone ever
>> having a problem just like that, but I may not have read that thread.

Well, thinking a little harder, it had been some time since the
netinstall image was downloaded, so the kernel in the netinstall image
was, indeed, not likely to be matching the non-kernel stuff it was
finding in the current repositories. If the mismatch were bad enough,
it might make sense for the installer to complain.

Otherwise, it would need to ask if you wanted to re-load the kernel
and other elements of the netinstall image from the web instead of
proceeding with the stuff from the CD, or whether you had a substitute
repository that matched the kernel it was using for the install.

>> Thanks for your time to reply.

If it helps more than hinders, you're welcome.

> If you think you have found a problem, then as a user of testing you
> should report it. You may have found an obscure bug which should be
> fixed *before* Jessie becomes the new stable.
>
> As users of testing, we should take a more active role with regards to
> bugs, after all one of the reasons to run testing is to help make the
> stable release as bug free as possible.

Chris, I'm not understanding your reasoning here.

Are you thinking he should be considering the possibility he's been
hit by a MITM or something? Do you want him to try to roll back the
testing repository or a mirror so he can do a full binary compare?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.