Re: Let's have a vote!

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:58:30 -0400 Steve Litt sent:

> Me, I'm personally going to continue fresh installing, because I enjoy
> the spring-cleaning aspect of it, and the fact that I'm starting my
> new version from a known state. But I'm now aware this is a Steve Litt
> quirk, not solid advice for the masses. Thanks to everyone for the
> info.

I suppose if you don't have to buy new machines and have no hardware
failure one can just keep updating and upgrading reading the Debian
recommendations for the major updates and taking the advice given.
Maybe fresh installs aren't required?

In my case have two laptops with Debian Jessie, an Acer and Toshiba,
second hand when I got them both with only 512MB of RAM and a bit
challenged now, when I do too much at once. They will never go past
Jessie, they have both been used as desktops due to only having a small
solar power system. Both are 7 years young. I love them, but won't move
the operating system up on either.

The lappy I had before them lasted about 7 years before it died, so
I suppose every 7 or so years I do a fresh install. Having someone give
me an old machine that doesn't have the resources to update an ms
system, wiping the hard drive and installing the current flavour of
testing.

But have also done a fresh install a couple of times in the past between
that time when I really broke a system, and I wanted to change the
partitions on it as an added incentive to make me do it. [laughing]

I'm not really frightened about reinstalling. Have a list of initial
packages I use, and then add anything else as I need it. That also
cleans out packages I seldom or in some cases never use, but thought I
might. The are probably other reasons that make reinstalling attractive
at the time that don't come to mind in this instant.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	In prosperity our friends know us; in adversity we know our
	friends. ---- Churton Collins