Re: Let's have a vote!

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 09:05:30PM -0500, green wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote at 2014-09-29 20:30 -0500:
> > On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:13:10 -0400
> > Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Also, in
> > > terms of upgrading a Debian System - Are you aware that prior to each
> > > major release, Debian releases a comprehensive upgrade treatise that
> > > covers any quirks and describing hoops one may need to do. It's pretty
> > > much required reading.
> >
> > I'm not a very detail oriented person, and reading that would be pretty
> > useless for me. Which is why I'm not going to Funtoo. So if I can avoid
> > that reading by doing a fresh install, it saves me time.
>
> For me, reading the release notes and then upgrading between major
> versions is *much* faster than reinstalling.  In fact, I consider
> working rolling upgrades a very important feature because it saves so
> much time and effort.

Agreed. There always seems to be one config file you forget about! :)
In fact, a fresh install can be quite a burden --- think of
/etc/aliases, MTA config, .bashrc aliases etc, grub idiosyncrasies which
you slaved over etc. etc. etc. (no doubt I've missed a couple.)

For every new install I've done I'm fairly sure I've had to google or
check an existing system for the syntax of some configuration file or
something.

No, do yourself a favour and install just once! It really does save
time!

Oh, just remembered the /etc/vim/vimrc and the local .vimrc. :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X